Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Garlic Focaccia Bread (Vegan)

I'll be honest. I've made bread dough from scratch before. I enjoy it. I do. But having two kids & a home, a husband & a pup & half a dozen chicks, trying to get the house ready to put on the market, & making everything that I feed my family from scratch provides it's own unique challenges - lack of time being one of them. I make most of my yeast bread dough in the bread maker (it takes 110 minutes) & then I take it from there.


Preheat oven to 350.
(Place each measured ingredient in the bread maker in the following order)
Ingredients (makes 2 loaves):
2 cups water
3 tbsp local honey or maple syrup
3 tbsp olive oil
5 cups organic spelt flour
1/2 cup organic flaxseed
1/4 tsp yeast




Work with 1/2 of the dough at a time, knead, & roll out. Place on pizza stone. Drizzle with olive oil & rub in, working to the edges of the dough. Rub in minced garlic (as much or as little as you like - I like a lot). Grind fresh sea salt & pepper on to the dough.


Place in oven (preheated to 350 degrees) for 25-30 minutes). Let sit for 10 minutes. Cut into bread sticks.



Happy Baking!!  Enjoy!  :)

2 comments:

  1. ok so i tried this recipe and i didn't have spelt flour, all i had was whole wheat flour. it didn't raise much at all. But it was ok because i turned them into crispy yummy pita bites. i took a pizza cutter to it and dipped it into hummus. DELICIOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it anyway! Sounds like you cook how I cook: adjusting plans if it doesn't turn out how you expect. :) I've tried to make this with wheat flour too & I've had the same problem you're talking about - adding more yeast (2 tsp instead of 1) has helped for me in the past. Also, try doing 1/2 wheat flour & 1/2 unbleached white flour if you don't have access to spelt. If you are able to find spelt though, it's worth a try. I couldn't get my hubby & kids to really embrace the bread I made with 100% wheat flour but they LOVE spelt. :)

    Thank you so much for letting me know how you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete